Learn to Ride & License
Improve Your Ride Courses
Lessons Your Way

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I bring to class?

Students should bring plenty of water or gatoraid, snacks and a folding chair if you wish to sit during the breaks.

I am under 18, what is required?

Students who are 15 - 17 years old are required by the State of Texas to complete the classroom portion of Driver's Education. Once you have obtained your certificate to get your driver's permit, or if you have your permit or driver's license, you are eligible to attend the Basic Rider Course.  A parent must accompany a minor to class on Saturday morning to fill out necessary paperwork and waivers for the student if it has not been completed prior. Upon your enrollment we provide a Waiver and Medical Release form that is required by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Are there course prerequisites for the courses?

For the Basic Rider Course you do not need to have any motorcycling experience, however you should be able to ride a bicycle. You will need to have the ability to balance and stabilize a two-wheeled vehicle prior to beginning the class.

The eCourse must be taken within 30 days of course and you must bring certificate to class.

For the Experienced Rider Course students must have an "M" endorsement on their Driver's License and provide their own street worthy motorcycle.

You must also provide proof of motorcycle liability insurance. Current riding experienced is required. You must feel comfortable handling the bike in less than ideal conditions such as heavy traffic, bad weather, higher speeds, etc.

This course is designed to enhance your riding skills. It will address special handling situations and accident avoidance techniques.

What types of motorcycles are provided for courses?

At this time our bikes for the BRC are several different makes, ranging from 125-250cc's in size.
Students will use personal motorcycle for the ERC, provided that it is street worthy with proof of valid insurance.

What do I need to bring to my course?

Classroom materials provided. You are encouraged to bring snacks for classroom breaks and range times.  We take lunch breaks during the Basic Rider Course. No lunch break is scheduled for the Experienced Rider Course. Range sessions are physically demanding. You will need to drink plenty of water prior to course during warm months. You may also wish to bring sunscreen, rain gear, and extra clothing.

What about weather conditions?

Courses will be conducted regardless of the weather forecast. In the event of unsafe surface conditions (example: ice on the streets), we will notify you to reschedule the class, based on your contact information you provide us at the time of registration. Rain, heat, wind, and snow flurries are not causes for cancellation. We work around these types of conditions as best as possible keeping student safety top priority.
You should always dress for the weather and be prepared for any type of weather. Texas weather can change without warning. Pay special attention to unbearable summer heat and extreme winter wind chills.

Does everyone pass the course?

The Basic Rider Course is designed to allow the majority of riders to develop the essential road riding skills within the standard course structure. Not everyone will be successful on his or her first attempt.

What if I fail the course?

If you should fail one of the tests, written or riding, you have several options available to you. We can discuss options with you as if this problem arises. It is mandatory that the course is passed in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Students who cannot meet the minimum standards of the basic skills required to proceed in the class or students who become a danger to themselves or their classmates are not allowed to continue the training program.

What if I do not show up for my course?

Spaces in the courses are limited. If you do not attend or if you show up more than 15 minutes late, and do not provide us with at least four (4) business days notice you will forfeit your course fee. Once you have signed up and paid for training, it is not refundable unless NTMSC has to cancel a course and is unable to move you to another course.

I am a licensed Peace Officer. Can I receive TCOLE credit for completing the Basic RidersCourse?

Yes, Law Enforcement officers will receive 16 TCOLE hours or 8 TCOLE hours for the Basic RiderCourse II. Be sure to inform your instructor so that the proper paperwork can be submitted.